The origin for the ministry of Peace Portal Alliance Church was a home Bible study comprised of committed believers in the area, who attended Surrey Alliance Church. It was their desire, to have a ministry geared to the unique lifestyle of growing young families and business people moving into the peninsula.
Services were conducted in Sunnyside United Church, but a growing congregation necessitated a move to Sunnyside Elementary School. In June 1976, the new fellowship was formally organized as “The Crescent Park Community Church” of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Rev. David T. Anderson was invited in October 1976 to serve as pastor. Within five years, these labourers had already significantly touched the community around them. The congregation had doubled in size and in 1978, the site of the present sanctuary (3.6 acres) was purchased. This growth included a name change in February 1979, to “Peace Portal Alliance Church”.
- April 4, 1976, services conducted in Sunnyside United Church
- growing congregation necessitated move to Sunnyside Elementary School
- June 1976, formally organized as “The Crescent Park Community Church” of The Christian and Missionary Alliance
- 1978, congregation had doubled in size and the site of the present sanctuary (3.6 acres) was purchased
- February 1979, name of the church changed to “Peace Portal Alliance Church”· 1979 the adjacent area (4.9 acres) was obtained and construction of the church began in the fall of 1980
- Sunday, May 31, 1981, marked the official opening
- 1997, after years of searching for direction, decision was made to keep current location and improve existing facilities
- Sunday, May 31, 1998, dedication of multi-purpose facility (nursery, gym, classrooms, café, full size commercial kitchen)
- September 1999, sanctuary renovation began
- Sunday, April 2, 2000, Re-Dedication of the sanctuary
- Sunday, April 1, 2001, 25th Anniversary Sunday, celebrating 25 years of God’s faithfulness
- November 2007, the new ministry centre is opened including classrooms, offices and an inviting courtyard entrance